Friday, June 17, 2011

Prettying Up The Hypertufa Planters To Sell

Ready, Set, Take a Sip, & Start Planting!

Made these last year, but nobody really "gets them", so after I had planted some of them all up for gifts (there wasn't anything in them till this week), the "AHA" moment arrived...


This little pot came from my friend Jane, well actually Jen insisted I take it home so that I would have something of Jane's. I refused to take clothes, shoes...I don't care if I'm the only one around with small feet like hers, I don't want any shoes...or clothes or etc etc . etc....so then Jen found this pot in the garage, it was just the perfect thing. Unfortunately Jane passed away suddenly last week at a young age of 46. If you look back from my posts in April, there is one that references a "Blonde". That would be Jane. If only I had taken pictures that day. The past 2 weeks have been a bit rough. I lost another friend from my church just days before Jane. His name was Frank & he was a wonderful colorful character who reminded me of my grandfather. I even loved his orneriness & grouchiness as he reached his final age of 93. At least with Frank, I know he has been long waiting to be with his beloved wife again. So of course as I am working on the planters, I made sure to fill up "Jane's Pot" & have a cocktail with her name on it.
Try to ignore the broken purplish one I forgot to take off the table.....guess I really wasn't using my head when I thought I could use 2x4's in the mold so I wouldn't have to make legs.....couldn't get those suckers out to save my life so I torched them....obviously not one of my better ideas huh?




"Jane's Pot" all finished & pretty, now to find the perfect spot for it in the garden...hmmmmmmm





Well, that's all I have. I am going to a flea market on Sunday(yes I have the hubby's approval to be absent the beginning of Father's Day..especially if it means I might actually contribute something to the bills) & hope I have some luck selling some of these. I also have some other "things" I'm working on. I started out on this web of blogs initially interested in gardens & such. WELL..HA...have you seen any of these DIY blogs??? How about the "Upcycling"????? I am in awe of these people and quite addicted to them now. I now find myself stalking garage sales, flea markets, and, yes, I will admit, people's garbage, looking for something I can give a new life to. I have several things I have done or in "process".  Couple of weeks ago I scored some gorgeous (!!!!) solid wood (not sure what, could be maple or walnut) cabinett doors that were never used & a huge pile of trim in every size, shape & color. YAY ME!!!! 5 of the doors I made in to chalkboards, & the last one which is plain I plan on using it to top a table base I picked up today. UNLESS...I can find a really cool piece of flagstone & figure out how to attach it....HMMMM...
AH, who knows, way to many ideas & projects going on at the same time, and don't forget that pesky school thing. MAN, summer classes are kinda intense this time around! Time to get my butt back to finishing something, hope you all have a great weekend!

"Cheers to my pals: Frank & Jane.
May God Bless You Always"

8 comments:

GRACE PETERSON said...

I really like that dark one on the right in the last photo. These should sell like hotcakes!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

First, my prayers for your lost friends.
I tell myself every year, I will attempt to make some hypertufa planters, and still have not got around to it. Yours are wonderful and I know if I was at the market I would come home with more than one. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you sell many of those lovely planters.

Karen said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friends. I've lost a good friend this past April, too, only 53 and with no warning. It still doesn't feel real yet, but it is. I love Jane's little garden pot, such a nice remembrance.

I hope you had great luck selling your tufa pots, I LOVE them! I still wish we lived closer, darn it!

Eva said...

The planters are beautiful. I'm sure you sold all of them.
Where did you find your succlents?
I haven't found any I like this year.

Axel said...

You definitely got lots of talent! They look wonderful in the final stage!
How did the business go? :)

Jester said...

Thanks everybody!I sold some planters & some jewelry I had made a while ago, made just over $100. The other venders told me it was exeptally slow that day, so maybe next week I'll do better! Was also told to do the one closer to my house. It is alot of old antiquey stuff, but it is also in th eneighborhood of artsy, crafty, eccentric bunches, so guess I'll have to try it...

Doug said...

I love how you used the blue stones with your hypertufa, it looks so cool!
Check out www.hypertufamolds.net if you like hypertufa!

Axel said...

Cool! $ 100 is still something! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...