Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Garden Pests

No, not talking your usual run of the mill rabbits, deer and bugs, I'm talking about my damn Damnit Brothers. Luckily I was sitting here eating some brunch while playing around on the computer, my desk sits right next to the window. If it wasn't for a snarly "get out of way" from Manny to Duke, I wouldn't have known that the little creeps were in the process of hunting down a ferocious predator that apparently required the destruction of the rock wall and my hydrangea, not to mention the digging. It's bad enough that they are doing this in the first place, what you don't understand is that I've had this bush for about 6 years. It always seem to be touch and go with this fickle plant and this year I FINALLY have flowers!!!! So yeah, I just might be feeling a bit over protective and I will not have my struggles be in vain damnit!


So there I sat yelling out the window and banging on the sill...hmmmm...they slowly backed away in a semi circling kind of motion which means they are in no way ready to abandon their mighty quest. The second I turned my head, BAM! they're back at it when a seriously pissed off squeal pierces the air. I go running outside with a fly swatter and promptly start swatting and yelling, cause my big dumbass self is going to save the poor defenseless squeaking mole that they finally got out from under my poor hydrangea. I winded up having to get the hose since The Damnit Bros had no intention of losing any part of this action they cleverly uncovered. We had a 5 minute stand off......me guarding the bush with the hose while they arced around me.

As I walked back into the house I passed another spot that they were so nice to try and rid me of toads, and then another they tried to rid me of oh who the hell cares!!!! They're freaking trashing MY STUFF!!! I am soooooooooooooooooo not liking them today


Finally some flowers on this baby and I love the colors!


I already put the rocks back in place and gave my hydrangea a drink in between spraying away the enemies, but I'm still mad they broke some branches those ********!!!!!
What's left of the tiger lillies that came with the house, luckily they were done blooming.



This doesn't really so bad in the picture but it was very nice and lush with astillbe before they dug up everything right in the middle.



Here is a few critter problem tonics curtesy of Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener.



Dog-Gone-It!
Man's best friend can be your flowergarden's worst enemy. To keep dogs away from their favorite digging areas, liberally apply this mix to the soil:
2 cloves of garlic
2 small onions
1 jalapeno pepper
1 tbsp of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp of Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp of chile powder
1qt of warm water
Chop the garlic, onions, and pepper finely, then combine with the remaining ingredients. Let the mix sit for 24 hours, then sprinkle it on any areas where digging dogs are a problem.
a few other tricks to try:
* Dip pipe cleaners in tobaco juice and hang them on lants at dog-sniffing height.
* Spread moth crystals on the soil underneath flowers and shrubs.
* Sprinkle cayenne pepper around their favorite garden spots.
OK...I do have to admit that The Dufus Bros to in fact, do a fine job of keeping away the bigger four legged critters such as deer, rabbits and groundhogs.....gotta give credit where credit is due!

Scat Cat Sollution
Cats an be great pets, but they can also be a real problem if they dig in your garden. Try this spicy solution to keep them away from your prized plantings.
5 tbsp of flour
4 tbsp of powdered mustard
3 tbsp of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp of chili powder
2 qts of warm water
Mix all ingredients together, and sprinkle the solution around the perimeter of the areas you want to protect.
some other kitty deterrents:
* Grow catnip in an area that's a good distance away from your flowerbeds. Once they discover the   catnip, the maurading kitties will forget all about your flowers.
* Sprinkle ground black pepper, hot cayenner pepper, mothball flakes or dry Borax soap powder in and around the areas you want kitty free.


 Deer Buster Egg Tonic
2 eggs
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp of Tabasco sauce
2 Tbsp of cayenne pepper
2 cups of water

Put all ingredients in a blender and puree. Allow the mixture to sit for two days, then pour or spray it all around whatever plants need protection. You can modify this any way you want as well. I personally put mine in a gallon jug that I had also added about 2 cups of milk to, and filled the jug the rest of the way with water. I left whatever didn't fit in the spray bottle in the fridge (BE SURE TO WARN YOUR FAMILY!!!!) One of the keys things in this recipe is the eggs: once it is dry it still sticks to the plants when it rains.

other anti deer suggestions:
* Sprinkle bloodmeal or human hair trimmings on and around plants. renew after each rain. Ask a local salon or barber for hair.
* Hang bars of strongly scented soap at deer nose level on stakes set around the garden.
* Not to be gross, but they really don't like human urine!
* Go to the dollar store and grab a bunch of those little pinwheels to stick around in the garden.

Depending where you live will determine just how big your weapon supply needs to be.  Where deer are most densely populated, usaully in neighborhoods with big developements (and where hunting is not possible) it is very easy for them to survive and your gardens are their evening buffets. These are the hardest because the deer are no longer fearful of human scents and often don't mind climbing right on your porch for a bite to eat! These areas they don't even wait till dusk, they'll even take naps right in the middle of your yard. This is a good example of when Fido is your best weapon  and champion, so maybe a little toad or mole hunting should be just a wee bit more tolerated....or I am trying to convince myself....





2 comments:

One said...

Hi Jester, Very beautiful and peaceful looking flowers indeed. For a moment I thought the concoction was meant for the Damnit brothers.

I have 2 big dogs chasing toads in my garden all the time. Branches break, roots revealed, flowers wilt during the toad hunting process.

Jester said...

I revised my post to include dog & cat solutions to....like I should of to begin with!! not my brightest moment..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...